Zumba Class. . . Fitness Club Identified!

I just taught a Zumba class and it felt great that the students was inquiring where else I teach, how they thought the class was the best they had, etc. One beautiful woman even commented that she had five instructors since my class (being her first Zumba class a few weeks ago) and no one taught like me, etc.! I am so happy to have touched so many in an exercise class. It is a nice feeling!

I have worked very hard on my teaching skills throughout the last 30 years and proud of whom I am today. Sometimes I can get off track when select people do not show me respect - which does not happen often in the fitness industry, but here in MO it questionably does. However, I guess that goes with anything you do – there are haters and not everyone will like us. My former boss once said that I could be intimidating and have a strong presence when I walk into a room. So I do try to tame myself, but that does not always work and in return, some of the women I met are not very nice to me (I think they have low self-esteem).


Live each day being the best that you can be. More importantly, always be kind and smile regardless if someone gives you attitude for no reason. As I have to continually teach myself, let it go and know that it is not always because of you. I can only give my best and be true to myself. So should you.

Yesterday, I was listening to a blog radio interview with Norma Shechtman, a Fitness Expert/Award Winning Fitness Professional. I decided to write to her and ask her opinion on facing the students while teaching (I know, I need to drop it and I will after this. But it is a pet peeve of mine since I am going against so many instructors habits and had the latest issue with Club Fitness – yes, I finally identified the club!). Not to my surprise, below is what she wrote. It just feels good that top pros like Norma is in the same ballpark as me!

You are right on track. There are a few reasons to face the group. First is for safety but also to make eye contact, smile and let them know you care about them. Rapport between student and teacher is extremely important. Your instructors will definitely see the difference. Try this with them. Have one student put their back to another and tell a brief story. Then, have them turn face to face and tell the same story with animation, facial, hand gestures. Which way was more fun and entertaining? Thanks for listening to the interview.” - Norma
Shechtman

ONE OF OUR INSTRUCTORS WHO ATTENDED THE APEX IN CHICAGO:
"AFAA workshop I asked the instructor about facing/mirroring the students, her reponse:
- yes you should be facing your students. "AFAA Recommends you face your students"

I got into with a bunch of people later on in the presentation because they were whining about how HARD it is to face your students and it's difficult for them to follow you! I told them to come to see Fitness Motivators and it's not difficult. in fact it's better to SEE YOUR STUDENTS AND U CAN SEE AND CORRECT PROPER FORM and monitor their faces!!! THis one chick tried to tell me that she teaches cardio kickboxing and would never face her students and she just uses the mirrors - I got so heated that she tried to outspeak me on this when I said I teach the same thing facing my students and so on...

also there was a guy who has "NEVER SEEN STEP TAUGHT WHILE FACING THE STUDENTS" (he's been to IL, FL, TX etc)...again..I told him to come to Farmington Hills, MI to see how it is done!

I LOVE YOU LADIES FOR HAVING SUCH A WONDERFUL FITNESS PROGRAM AND I AM PROUD TO BE APART OF THIS TEAM. THANK YOU FOR WELCOMING ME TO JOIN AND TEACHING ME HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE!!!"


Pistons Game Pre-Game Performance
Detroit, Michigan


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time to Reinvent Myself: Honor The Body

My Brother, Anthony William Lim

Create Your Own Path