Create Your Own Path

I arrived at my work at 5:30 in the morning and packed the few things that I moved here from the Ann Arbor site. It is weird how I sensed from the beginning that being at the Chesterfield location would only be temporarily. This morning was my job loss notification meeting and instead of feeling sad, I felt as though my employer is giving me an opportunity to finally create my own path.

Pfizer was extremely generous to me throughout the 11 years. Working in a big company, you either get lost or work hard to get noticed. I am lucky that hard work paid off. I traveled around the world, gained advanced skills and had many wonderful opportunities.

A week ago I told my previous manager about my job status and he replied, “I am really sorry things didn't work out with Pfizer - they don't appreciate what they are losing. I am sure things will work out as cream always rises to the top.” How sweet! (I never knew how much he appreciated me until his farewell speech. He was always so tough on me, but ended up being one of my best learning- experience at Pfizer) I see my current work situation as all things must come to an end to allow new ventures and opportunities. I was too much in a comfort zone as most are, and my nature is being a risk-taker.
Never rely on others or companies to dictate your lives or careers. It is up to us to make the most of ourselves and to be the best possible.

I am blessed. You are blessed.
(Pictures are from a global leadership team meeting in Boston, 2004)

Comments

  1. You have such a really beautiful, optimistic outlook on your situation in life. Because of your ambition and strength, I know you're going to go far in life - no matter where you go from here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Donna. Clicking on these pictures of what you saw and visited because of Pfizer and reading your words brought tears to my eyes. It looks like we are always trying to stay positive in a world of things and people trying to pull us down... I am proud of you twin siter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks mom and Debbie. You are right Debbie, we are always trying to stay positive only to be brought down each time. To add to my final exit from Pfizer, I never received a Good Bye, Farewell, etc. from my manager. Being that they selected me to leave, I am trying to reflect on what I did wrong, why I was not given a new project when I asked my manager each time I talked to her, etc. Bottom line, we cannot be liked by everyone no matter how hard we give and work. I put so many hours into my role and was questioned about my vacation payout at the end. That itself was an insult. Unfortunately, the true colors of individuals comes out during these times. I will keep my "colors" honest, motivating, true and continue to work hard - for me this time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time to Reinvent Myself: Honor The Body

My Brother, Anthony William Lim